Advertisement

CVS help

Started by November 27, 2002 10:13 AM
4 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 9 months ago
I''ve been reading some in Programming Linux Games since they released it free on the internet, and I''ve learned a little CVS. But there''s something I''m having trouble with. A while ago I created a Sourceforge project for my little GUI thingy I was working on. I somehow managed to upload the project into a repository, but I put it in the wrong place (the directory Emptydir). Now that I know how to use CVS better I want to get rid of that and put the project in its own directory, like is customary. I have the new files uploaded into a real directory, and now I need to delete everything in Emptydir. I try ''remove'' but I don''t know how to change the working directory to Emptydir. When I do it like this: cvs remove Emptydir/blahblah it says something like "Cannot remove directory Emptydir. It has stuff in it." How can I delete EVERYTHING in Empydir?
I like the DARK layout!
Good luck. CVS doesn''t like removing directories :/
A first step would be to remove every single file in the Emptydir hierarchy. Then remove the lowest level directories, then the next level and so on until you can remove Emptydir.
However, there''s still going to be some garbage lying around in the repository (at least, when I last tried something like that there was). Actually, since that''s basically version logs, you could argue that it''s not garbage but useful information ...

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Advertisement
Thats what I mean. I cannot even remove files from the directory. When I try the "remove Emptydir/somefile" I get these errors:

cvs server: file `Emptydir/somefile'' still in working directory
cvs server: 1 file exists; remove it first

How can I remove ''somefile'' and all the other files withen Emptydir so that I can remove Emptydir itself (or at least make it EMPTY!)
I like the DARK layout!
First you need to remove the file on your local system

rm Emptydir/myfile

then you call cvs remove on the non-existant file (wierd I know)

cvs remove Emptydir/myfile

then you commit the removed file (wierder still)

cvs commit Emptydir/myfile

Hope that was what you needed.

X2K

[edited by - xstreme2000 on November 27, 2002 12:18:22 PM]
Ah! OK! Thanks!

I froze CVS a few times (that ''you gotta be in this working directory or else CVS will freeze'' thing always gets me) but I finally did it!
I like the DARK layout!
And this is why Subversion[1] is going to be a success.

[1]subversion.tigris.org

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement