🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I Challenge you to a Duel! (CPU)

Started by
16 comments, last by Bomberman 24 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering what everyone thought of duel Celerons versus a Pentuim III or Athlon. I''ve looked at Pricewatch (www.pricewatch.com) and found that I could get either a Pentium III 700Mhz and use the motherboard i already have, or get two Celeron 533Mhz and a duel motherboard, both for around 400$ with shipping. There''s also an Athlon 750Mhz and new motherboard for around the same price. To me it seems like the duel Celerons would have far more power than the others, of course I''m pretty clueless about processers. And don''t a lot of things not use both processers, like most games? I''ve also heard that duel CPU''s have more problems and things, heard this awhile ago though. Also, duel processers will work in Windows 98 right? Right now I have a Celeron 366 Mhz, it doesn''t run all that slow, but i''m learning 3D Studio MAX, and I usually have to render things over and over to test things and see what what happens, which takes a very long time. Thanks
Advertisement
there is just one game that uses both processors (if you have), and i thought it was q3. I''m not sure. About the choice: i would choose either the p3 or the dual c''s because athlon is going to change from sockel i heard (read). So you dont need a new mainboard.

And your ''problem'' with 3d studio max: i guess you need more RAM.

http://www.sigwarthsoft.com/
I have 192Mb RAM, isn''t that enough for now, as I said I am just learning, so I''m not making any huge scenes yet. It''s mainly just learning how to make fog, reflections, refractions, etc. that take 5-10 minutes to render. And since I render it, then change it, render, change, to see what everything does it can take quite a long time.
o sorry
well the athlon is very stron in 3d apps..............

http://www.sigwarthsoft.com/
Most people just aren''t going to see that much of a benefit from dual processors. Since you already have a motherboard for it, I''d suggest the PIII. I just picked up an Athlon, and I''m really happy with it, but there''s no reason to switch your motherboard if you don''t need to.
To be quite honest, id rather have 2x400 celerons than an 800 Athlon...theres just more utility in that. (and it costs loads less)

Thanks. I do have an older computer too (P75) which I am going to upgrade with my Celeron 366 no matter if I change the motherboard or not, so I acually save around 70 bucks by not having to buy a new motherboard for my old computer. This is also the same for the 750Mhz Athlon, if it''s better than a PIII 700 I would save money by not having to buy the new motherboard for my old computer.

So do duel processers equal the same as thier total Mhz? Like will two 533 Celerons acually be the same as if I where running a 1066 Mhz Celeron (if there were such a thing)? I was thinking it was slower, but agian, I really don''t know. And does the cache double with two processers? Since Celerons only have 128Kb cache, and PIII''s have 256, will the duel Celerons make up for that and have a total of 256Kb cache? What does cache even do? And I have one final question about Windows NT (or the newer 2000), will 3D Studio MAX run faster if I have it? And if I should get it will all my games and other software work with it? Thanks agian.
From what I have heard 3D Studio MAX has the ability to take advantage of dual processor systems, effectively halving the render time. You might want to look into that before you make up your mind.

If you deside to get two celerons, you must have Windows NT or Windows 2000 as Windows 9x don''t support multiple processors. I have Windows 2000 on my machine and I have yet to find a program or game that doesn''t work (I''m sure there are some but I haven''t encountered any).

No, the speed of two celerons doesn''t equal double performance, expect in some special cases (Like 3DSMax from what I''ve heard). Very few programs are designed to take advantage of the multitasking that two processors do, and even if a program can handle multitasking they may not be able to do it such a degree that the performance is doubled.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

First off I''d like to say that I know some 3d studio and the 192 megs of ram is fine. I''m using a celeron 400 and it''s good enough for me, if you think volume fog and v-light is slow wait till you use a plugin called particle combustion, holy sh1t, so slow. Anyways I heard that celerons actually render faster than pentiums (but I''m an idiot so don''t jump all over me people.) Not that I know what I''m talking about but: avoid dual processors, get the p3.
Studio max is capable of using dual processors. I use Dual PII 400''s in WIn2K and apart from a bizarre Direct X problem it''s fine.

It also doesn''t matter to much whether or not a program is programed to use SMP as it''s down to the OS as to what is given to each processor. As well all now there''s a HAL. Each program sends it''s threads to the HAL and it then dumps these to each procesor splitting the load between them. Thus a single thread application will run on one CPU and another single thead application will run on the other CPU.

No using dual CPU doesn''t mean double the speed. The CPU''s must "talk" to each other and this overhead is why CPU''s cannot run at double the speed in SMP (I''m using Duals as thats'' what i''m used to). Incidentely I read a while ago is that the overheads grow to such a level that having 6 CPU''s is worse than having 5 CPU''s as the extra CPU is taken up totally with the "talking" overheads. (I have not looked into this so don''t flame me. I just read it somewhere)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement