Advertisement

My IDE idea!

Started by November 14, 2002 02:01 PM
46 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 9 months ago
Ever browsed a CVS server via HTML (one where every identifier was a link to where it was declared and such)? Pretty cool, wasn''t it. What if there was an IDE that did that? It could use Gecko to render the page! It''d sit there and let you edit the code, then behind the scenes it updates the .cpp file, then generates a new HTML file on the fly. Maybe it could be integrated into Anjuta. Anjuta is good, but I wish it had virtual folders and stuff. Trying to edit a massive project is really tough.
I like the DARK layout!
OK, scrap the Gecko thing. I think GktHTML would work better, but i can''t find any info about how to use it. I guess I could study the Gaim code, but *shudder* oohhhh nooo!
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Visual C++ has the "Go to definition" feature, that (as long as you''re using Visual Assist which fixes most of the bugs in IntelliSense) works just like you describe.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot! codeka.com - Just click it.

Yeeaaahhh.... but there's just 1 problem... I'm not using Visual C++ cause it won't run in Linux (unless Microsoft, in a brief fit of insanity, released a Linux version) and even if I used WINE and got it working in Linux it'd still compile for Windows.

But yeah, that's basically what I mean. In fact, that's exactly what I mean. Let's write a VC++ clone for Linux! Shoot, lets make it portable too, and make it for EVERYTHING!

We could call it Codzilla (not like the fish! As in "code!") or maybe Optical Workshop! Everyone would wanna use Optical Workshop instead of Visual Studio or CodeWeaver! And best of all, IT'D BE FREE!

OK, so who wants to do it?

[edited by - BradDaBug on November 17, 2002 4:07:12 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
I''ve read that Eclipse has good CVS integration, but I''ve never used Eclipse myself. Here are some screenshots of Eclipse that were posted on GnomeDesktop.org a while back.

You might be interested in Apotheke too; it''s a CVS view for Nautilus (2). I haven''t used Apotheke either, but it looks pretty nice.

About, GtkHTML: GtkHTML 2 is a little lacking in documentation, but GtkHTML 1 seems to be documented somewhat. From what I''ve read online, GtkHTML 2 is nicer to work with, but it doesn''t support editing of the HTML it contains yet. They both have a ''gtk_html_'' prefix, so it should be relatively easy to find example code within existing projects.

There''s no need to reinvent the wheel for this - both emacs and vi allow you to jump to where an identifier is declared or defined. `man etags'' (or ctags, they''re the same man page here) sometime.
Advertisement
Intellisense > ctags.

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
What''s with these Arild and Dean trolls?

sheesh
What''s with these anonymous trolls?

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Ah, good! So we can use those tools to create a TAG file that''ll be used by the IDE!

Good work, people! Keep it up!
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement