🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Prediction...

Started by
12 comments, last by Miraj 24 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by Josh

I seriously doubt the industry will move to Visual Basic. Why? Because I see more games being developed for more than just Windows.

Not so fast! go to www.realbasic.com.

It is like Visual Basic, but for the Mac.

Also, Visual Basic is quite fast. I have run Visual Basic engines with particles and textured maps and they run quite fast (in HW mode). I got 40-70 fps on my system. It is only a k6-2 450.

Edited by - nes8bit on 4/21/00 7:14:40 PM
Advertisement
quote:
Not so fast! go to www.realbasic.com.

It is like Visual Basic, but for the Mac.

Also, Visual Basic is quite fast. I have run Visual Basic engines with particles and textured maps and they run quite fast (in HW mode). I got 40-70 fps on my system. It is only a k6-2 450.

You missed my point

I don''t care how fast a Visual Basic application runs compared to the same application made in C++ or any other language.

Like I said in my last post, I think of VB as a toy language - and not even a very good one. It is so difficult to design and maintain any project of a decent size with it.
Visual Basic was created so that beginners can program and GUI interfaces can be quickly created. That''s what it was made for and that''s what it''s good for.

If someone wants to spend their time making a game in VB, all the time fighting the limitations of the language, then I wish them luck. I will continue to use languages that make the design and implementation of complex applications, such as games, easy. I believe the majority of other game developers would agree with me. Feel free to disagree though

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
I will disagree with you but I guess this requires me to come out of the closet...?

I AM making a game with Visual Basic and am quite close to finishing the 3D part of it. It quite fast. When I said that I have seen engines that run 40-70 fps I was referring to me. There are limitations with Visual Basic, but I still have not seen them. My project is pretty big. About 1 MB in source code alone. I do not understand what limitations you are talking about. If you are talking about plug in support, I have it. If you talking about a scripting language, I have it. (Well it is based on Quake Console Commands.) Sure Visual Basic is slower if you have it do all of the pixel calculations, but DirectX does all of that. Please explain the limitations you are talking about.
What Josh is getting at is that it''s not a speed issue -- it''s an issue of how powerful the language is. VB is missing a lot of the power that C++ has. You might not even notice it if you haven''t used C++ much. But if you''ve become accustomed to the power of C++, going to a toy langauge that lacks power and speed is not a very compelling idea.

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement