🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Khronos/OpenML thoughts?

Started by
2 comments, last by Marauderz 24 years, 2 months ago
Well, I''ve just checked ou the mini faq at their site http://www.khronos.org I guess in part it''s a good thing because it''ll be easier to make cross platform games, but one thing worries me... look at the companies that formed the workgroup :- 3dfx, 3Dlabs, ATI, Compaq, Discreet, Evans & Sutherland, IBM, Intel, S3, and SGI. Is it just me but where''s :- NVida & Creative Labs both big audio/visual big shots? And other than Compaq how come most of the companies that form the group either hate MS (ie: SGI/IBM/INTEL) or lost groud because of DX (ie: 3Dfx) just my 2 cents, so what do you guys think? -------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Advertisement
i''m hoping i won''t have to code in direct3d.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Well, my initial reaction is that this is obviously a direct assault on DirectX, and IMO it''s always good to shake up the status quo. The non-involvement of NVIDIA is not really surprising, considering that they are currently in an agreement with Microsoft for the X-Box. Not sure about Creative Labs, since there is no one involved focusing on audio, but then again, they are more involved with making consumer products than core technology.

I think the fact that the companies involved are at best on unfriendly ground with MS is rather irrelevant. Each company is a respected technological leader, so it is only natural that they would be involved.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what they can produce.
It could be that Creative Labs isn''t part of khronos because they are currently behind OpenAL instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement