🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SCSI hard drive questions

Started by
4 comments, last by Sith Lord 24 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering what the difference was between SCSI2, SCSI Ultra2, and SCSI Fiber. I want to put in a SCSI hard drive in my computer and was wondering if I''d be able to put a SCSI Ultra2 or a SCSI Fiber hard drive on my computer without having to buy a new SCSI card. I have a SCSI2 card now. I''m pretty sure I have to at least buy a converter because almost all the hard drives I can find are 80-pin while my card is 50-pin. Thanks for the help in advance. P.S. I want an internal hard drive, and I''m looking at between 18-50gb.
"The best way to predict the future is to create it." -Alan Kay
Advertisement
Us Mac users know alot about scsi drives, since they _used_ to come standard in all macs. Right now, the best bang for you buck would be the Ultra-2 SCSI, fibre scsi is expensive. If money is not a problem, then id reccomend a relatively new scsi type called Ultra SCSI /160, which has a pretty steady transfer rate of 160M per second....very nice. Right now i have Ultra-2 SCSI in most of my machines, and am very satisfied with it.

firahs, would I need to buy a new SCSI card or would I just be able to buy a converter?
And thanks for the help.
Youd have to buy a new card. They arent horrible expensive now...maybe santa will bring you one

thanks for all the help
I try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement