🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games As Senior Projects

Started by
7 comments, last by a2k 24 years, 2 months ago
how many of you are thinking of making a game for senior project in college? i was thinking of doing this myself, but something is holding me back: integrity to the rest of the computer industry. would i limit my job pool by doing this for senior project? i have already gotten approval from a professor to do a game, but a long time ago, one of my professors said that you limit the jobs if you go into the game industry. a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
For my senior project, I made a game. Currently I''m working as a system developer for N-Tier large scale databases.

I certainly don''t think making a game would limit your job selection, in fact I feel that people who know how to program games are EXCELLENT programmers, their programming logic and problem solving skills would have to be superb to just able to make a game.

Everyone I''ve seen who have made games one time or another are all exceptional programmers. So don''t worry about it!

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
thanks for the assurance. i needed that.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Hell yeah!! I''ve already written 2 game projects for a supposedly "business-oriented" IT program, and got great marks doing it.
I don''t really have an urge to write anything but games, so limiting my job chances really isn''t an issue. Besides, if I wanted to get a boring "normal" app development job, it''d be a breeze compared to games. Don''t let anyone convince you that regular programming is just as hard - it doesn''t even come close.
cool story, pyro. what type of games were they, i mean, what difficulty level, and how long did they take you?

a2k
Techniqueley, if you do a 3D roaming adventure game, or a racing game, you actually doing more, because of all the math and physics involved to simulate reality. I like the prospect of making games because it really tests my understanding of math and science.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
I''d just like to say that non-game programming jobs don''t have to be boring. Also, some non-game programming jobs are just as difficult, if not more so, than game programming.

I love game programming, but app programming isn''t always easy and boring (it also pays better).

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
I know of a programmer who started off programming games, and he says that games programmers are usually THE best programmers, and companies usually try to employ them. he wasn''t just being big-headed, as he is very good. Everyone at the company virtually worships him as far as his programming goes.

"Born of a Broken Man, but not a broken man."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
Hey, webspynner, there''s a problem there with your last quote. ALWAYS trust the bald barber (assuming the other barber''s got a good haircut) cause he didn''t cut his own hair Sorry, that was way OT. Anyway, I''d have to agree that making a game would show peeps that you can do a lot because of everything involved. Whether it''s 3D or not really makes no difference because even 2D games need to be realistic.

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement