🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What to tell a total beginner?

Started by
13 comments, last by jalaine 24 years, 2 months ago
Hi! I''m writing a general game programming tutorial for people that are writing their first game, and I find it a great challenge to teach them the good practises they''ll have to learn sooner or later. What topics I should in your opinion cover, so that it wouldn''t be too hard, but would still teach enough? Thanks! Jarkko
Advertisement
Hi if your gonna write a game -programming tutorial...you should first of all decide in what programm you would do tutorials about...my op is C... ...and im interested to learn....all depends about how much from the beginning and how much acknowledge you demands of the beginners...Start with learning some easy things (?) such as doing a game like the "snake"...dont really know if its easy to do that....but i would like to try....
/

JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
How about telling him/her where to go for major info. That is allways my problem I don''t know where to start. Also a good thing to do would be to introduce C or C++. and make sure all your code works!

***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***
***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***
how about an intro to object oriented programming?
I was thinking of using C, and maybe Allegro, so that I could teach the fundamentals that are same in what ever language you use, almost.. And Jewelaye, I was actually thinking about a snake game. I once wrote a small article on snake, but people have told me that that thing was too hard to follow, so I''m going to be starting from something more basic. But can I expect that people know C? As there are lots of good C tutorials on the net.

Jarkko
Well, the easiest tutorial I can think of is.....
TIC
TAC
TOE
!

Graphics, Interface, AI all rolled into one sweet little package!

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Agree wholeheartedly on Tic Tac Toe. I''d be a rich man if I had a nickel for every new programmer emailed me, deciding that his first project would be the next Doom/Quake/StarCraft.

I invariably recommend Tic Tac Toe. Once they get a good TTT working, then they can move on to something more substantial.

After all, Steven King''s first published novel was 95 pages long

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Okay, I think TIC-TAC-TOE it''ll be.. The first part that I''ll hopefully have enough time to write tomorrow will deal with the design and idea phase of developping a game like that.. BTW, with tic-tac-toe, do you mean a 3x3 grid and x''s and o''s, or a bigger field? I was thinking about 10x10 or something, it would be more exiting, and actually not even too much harder. And maybe 3 players. What do you think? And thanks for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

Jarkko
I haven''t even made my first game yet. I think a tutorial would be cool!

"Natalie Portman is hot. I have spoken..." - ILNP
"Natalie Portman is hot. I have spoken..." - ILNP
Jalaine. Start with the standard 3x3 TTT. Once you get it working to the point where it looks good and you can''t beat it, then move on to something else. Perhaps a 4x4x4 TTT with a 3-D board, or something like that. Here is a 3D TTT that''s on my game pack. It''s actually rather fun.

If you''d prefer to go for an Arcade-type game after that, try something simple, like Tetris or Pac Man. Just keep ''em small and try to learn new techniques with each game you write.

Remember, your first effort doesn''t have to be commercial quality. Nobody''s ever is.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement