🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGl Books- is this in the wrong place?

Started by
8 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 2 months ago
I know this might seem out of place, but I hated when polls were used in the General Programming board, so I decided to post my poll here. Out of the OpenGL Programmers who are in the lounge, which book is better- the OpenGL SuperBible Second Edition, or the OpenGL Programming Guide (aka Red Book)? I have an online version of the Red Book, but I find it''s examples to be terrible! They have examples that have trigenometry within the first 3 examples! I haven''t read the The OpenGL SuperBible (Second Edition) but I, also, have an online copy of the FIRST edition of the book. I thought it was rather good, but it didn''t get very good reviews so I assume it had SOMETHING wrong with it. Thus, I''m turning to the OpenGL programmers in here: should a REALLY new OpenGL programmer pick up The OpenGL SuperBible Second Edition or the OpenGL Programming Guide (aka Red Book)? Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
RedBook. Both the Programming Guide and Programming Reference are the only books you''ll ever need to program with OpenGL.

And i dont know if this is the wrong place.

I haven''t read the red book, but one thing:
Should you really do 3d if you don''t read trig easily?

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
I dunno if I''m good at Trig.... I''m only grade 9, my math class hasn''t covered! That comes in later grades!
I really am not that interested in 3d for the time being- I want to make 2d games for now. I know, I know, DDraw is better, but is it THAT much better? I HATE Windows Programming because it''s so damned alien! All those typedef''ed crap! I hate it! That''s why I picked OpenGL in the first place. You DO need to know windows programming to learn Direct X, right?

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
To respond to the first post, I''ve read the red book (3rd ed.), and perused the Superbible, and of the two I''d recommend the red book (and for the record, I think the example code is great and very useful).

Now for your latest post. If you''re interest is in making 2D games, I really can''t recommend OpenGL over DirectX. OpenGL is intended for 3D, and most of the work being done is it in 3D, so nearly all of the books, papers, and tutorials about it are for 3D. By contrast, there are tons of resources for making 2D games in DirectDraw. Yes, you''ll have to learn some Windows programming, but not much. Just pick up LaMothe''s Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It covers all the Windows programming you need, and makes it as painless as possible.
Thanks for all your replies. I''ve decided to drop OpenGL until I''m advanced enough to make 3d Games. I''ve chosen to learn DDraw. I have Windows Game Programming for dummies- is that any good to learn DDRAW?

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
Yes.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Fredric,

I think you are doing the right thing to play in 2D first (e.g., DDraw). Get your feet wet. Even learning trig at your age will be done in 2D, so it''ll be easier to think about.

But you might consider playing with VRML as a way to learn how to build some 3D scenes *without* also having to learn programming. With VRML, you can just write some fairly simply text files that describe objects, transforms, and cameras. It is a great way to PLAY with 3D! And until you start to be comfortable with the map, you will probably be less frustrated by playing. There are a number of books for VRML that I think you may find more straightforward than pure 3D programming books. And yes, you can do animation and *some* fancy stuff with VRML. It is not as fast as OpenGL or Direct3D, nor flexible enough for advanced games, but for learning it can be very good.

You will need only a text editor (notepad in Windows) and a VRML97 plug-in for your browser. I''m not sure what the latest VRML plug''s are, but you may be able to download and install CosmoPlayer from http://www.cai.com/cosmo/.

There are alternatives to VRML that may be faster, more capable, etc. Cult3D and Hypercosm are a couple.

A good API can be used for both 2D and 3D. There is no requirement that you draw in 3D with OpenGL. What you can get with DDraw is perhaps faster blitting, video effects, different kinds of overlays, something else? I personally tend to use OpenGL for 2D...

Good luck!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham RhodesSenior ScientistApplied Research Associates, Inc.
well, since you''re moving to direct draw, this doesn''t really apply anymore, but i use the SUPERBIBLE (2nd ed) more than i use the REDBOOk, cuz there are more examples for game-based apps, like a good texture mapping example, and it also covers realtime play, and optimization, and interactive graphics, etc. it gives away lots of secrets to make your graphics go faster, whereas the redbook just gives you the tools, and you figure everything else out. it''s true all you need is the redbook, but the superbible covers more in depth the things that can make your game a higher quality, without you having to dig around and figuring it out.

hey, good luck with directdraw, okay? directdraw is actually fun, easy, and fast, and just all too good, but once you try direct 3d (like i did, after getting the hang of direct draw) i moved right back to opengl.

your call.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Thanks your your adive a2k, I really appreciate it! . It;s true, that I have switched over to DirectDraw. Once I''m all done with all the parts of DirectX other than Direct3d, in order to get some 3d games under my belt, I''m definately moving back to OpenGL! Again, thanks.

GO LEAFS GO!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement