🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How long you lot been programming?

Started by
23 comments, last by David Herod 24 years, 2 months ago
The header says it all really... I''m just curious how much experience you people have in games programming. I''ve not been programming long, so I just want an idea how long it''ll be before I can call myself a "good" programmer :-)
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
Advertisement
All depends on the definition...
I''m not a ''good'' games programmer... I can program ANSI C++ and use the STL and such... but am only just getting into DX...
anyway, I started HTML (which I DON''T consider programming) when I was 12... 4 years ago. When I was 14 I learnt VB, and about 4 months ago I started on C++... now, as already mentioned I''m learning DX from the MSDN, waiting with baited breath for my very own copy of TOTWGPG to arrive from amazon...

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
Been writing games since around 1991.

Dunno much about DirectX myself.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I started writing games about three years ago, but I''ve been programming for six years, since I was 12.
I don''t want to mention HTML, ''cause it''s no programming language...
Well, I started with Basic and Pascal at the age of 12. Then I learned C/C++ and Visual C++. And now I''m working at Rarebyte, but I don''t think that I''m a good programmer, ''cause I''ve to concentrate on Game Design and our programmers do the code.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st
CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
I dont know . Seriously , at one time I was typing code for my ZX spectrum from those spectrum game magazines before I could play the games. Then I started to modify shit and see what it does . Then I was making shit from scratch , avoiding school staying up all night something went wrong etc .
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
I begun to learn the computer (how to type, use the mouse, turn it on! etc) about a year and a month ago...
I have been programming since early February, and I almost know just about all the standard concepts of C++ (I word the sentence like that because I believe no one is every FINISHED learned a language because there is always something new you can learn with it.) I just got into OpenGL, loving it but having a little trouble. So, you could say that my programming experience is about 2 and a half months old.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
I called myself a good programmer when i was 10...but then again i was/am cocky and only knew applescript. I started serios programming about a year and a half ago, and consider myself a pretty good programmer

Lemme see...I started using a computer at age two (I have a picture of me on it somewhere), although I doubt I knew what I was really doing all the way back then. I started programming at about 5...when I realized that if I turned on my Commodore64 w/out a cartridge in it, it gave me this blue screen, and I could type stuff. My parents happily encouraged my new pastime, and bought me little kids-books on BASIC...which I learned until about a year or so ago. Then I forgot it when I got into Java, then, last year, C, and in the past few months, C++. I know the syntax and all...that''s as well as anyone can say in "knowing the language." I''m learning the Win32 API stuff right now...and I plan to write a couple games using that...and the Windows GDI...then I''m gonna move on to DirectX.

So, am I a good programmer? I don''t think so. Of course...I also went to Cancun recently for Spring Break, and I brought along a notebook w/ source code and all in it so I could work on programming away from my PC--I''m addicted and I''m proud of it.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Lemme see...I started using a computer at age two (I have a picture of me on it somewhere), although I doubt I knew what I was really doing all the way back then. I started programming at about 5...when I realized that if I turned on my Commodore64 w/out a cartridge in it, it gave me this blue screen, and I could type stuff. My parents happily encouraged my new pastime, and bought me little kids-books on BASIC...which I learned until about a year or so ago. Then I forgot it when I got into Java, then, last year, C, and in the past few months, C++. I know the syntax and all...that''s as well as anyone can say in "knowing the language." I''m learning the Win32 API stuff right now...and I plan to write a couple games using that...and the Windows GDI...then I''m gonna move on to DirectX.

So, am I a good programmer? I don''t think so. Of course...I also went to Cancun recently for Spring Break, and I brought along a notebook w/ source code and all in it so I could work on programming away from my PC--I''m addicted and I''m proud of it.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement