🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help Me??

Started by
7 comments, last by Sincipher 24 years, 2 months ago
Sometimes I feel like I''m never going to be a game programmer no matter how hard I try I can''t get any of the things in this Game Programming For Dummies Book to work But I don''t know why. If Anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks!
***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***
Advertisement
It would be easier to help if you were more specific as to why you can''t get any of them to work.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
take it little by little. i swear. start with the basic language, i assume c++, start with the hello world program, and expand on it. if you don''t have a solid c++ background, you''d better learn it. it''s necessary for any programming app.

you''d be stuck in console (dos) mode for a while before you can go to graphics, but if you want to work on graphics, just use basic open gl stuff. even then, you have to understand EVERY LINE OF CODE. yes, i thought it was impossible, but you need to know, if things go wrong, or if you need to optimize, or if you have a team, and you need to explain something.

but remember the "compounding" feature of programming. start simple, build up, little by little. if you need more specifics, just post another, and we can help each other out.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
The worst thing you can do is feel sorry for yourself. You have to kick your own butt and get into gear. This is a really competitive market, and people who think they cant, just wont.

//end prepTalk

Thanks Everybody! If I had one specific issue i I would have posted that specific one but it''s nothing specific! It was just a post to let out a little steam (Frustration Sucks!).

***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***
I think it''s just a case of patience and keeping at it...
I''m only just starting games programming (i''ve not been learning C++ for that long) and if I find i''m not taking things in it''s usually because I''m not in the mood for learning at the time, so I just put the book down and come back to it another time. If you don''t get something, read it through again, and if you still don''t understand, try another book. Maybe that''ll explain it in a different way that you understand...
Hell, I''m no expert, but that works for me, anyway.
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
quote: Original post by Sincipher

Sometimes I feel like I''m never going to be a game programmer no matter how hard I try I can''t get any of the things in this Game Programming For Dummies Book to work But I don''t know why. If Anyone has any advice please let me know.
Thanks!

Well, I''ve just started to learn C++ and so on, and I understand how you feel. I don''t know how old you are, but I''m 37, and I''m a lawyer. When I was going through law school, I felt as if I would never be a lawyer, and yet here I am.

Just keep plugging, bud, and you might make it yet. Good luck.
Thanks! i feel better today i went home and for the past couple of days have just been working on the same stuff ovwer and over again. I finally realized that inorder to get it right it''s going to have to take careful review of all the source code i can get my hands on and the different ways of doing thing! I can now create a window 3 diffrent ways!

don''t worry man. I''m in the same boat. It took me about 2 weeks to get my first windows program to work. Just dedicate part of each day (say, half an hour, at the minimum) to programming. you can get a whole lot done that way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement