🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the artist/programmer ratio here?

Started by
13 comments, last by Nytegard 24 years, 2 months ago
The reason I ask is that I found out that when I finished programming a test engine, and then realized I hit a roadblock when I realized that I couldn''t exactly go anywhere until I finish drawing up the dozens and dozens (and dozens, etc) of graphics, which will take me probably 10x as long to render and draw than the engine took to write. Not that I''m asking for help yet, but I was just wondering how many people here design graphics compared to those who just know how to code. (And I finally realize why there were those artists who were laughing at me saying that game programming would be useless without their help. And also why they get payed so much. Heh)
Advertisement
i''m a 3d modeller/animator, cel animator/traditional artist. i''m doing game programming cuz i''m actually a computer engr major and i decided to do something fun with the shit that i learned. (that, and i wanted to program a game ever since like, the fifth grade.)

i''m also interested as to who is more the artist than programmer.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
well i can be considered a artist i walk to side to side of my house think in batle engines, my school notebook have more menus designs and ships drawings than text and i´m a bad progammer...

-the history repets himself because no one is paying attention
I''m both... Does that mean I''m screwed up?

---<<>>---
Chris Rouillard
Software Engineer
crouilla@hotmail.com
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com
I''m artist and programmer too
I do both programming and designing/3dmodelling, but I''ve to concentrate on the second one.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st
CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
I''m a C++ programmer, but I decided today (after reading your post as a matter of fact) that''d I learn OpenGL as well as MAX at the same time...

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
I vote for programming

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
I''m just a programmer... I wish I could claim to be both, but I can''t. It seems like there are a lot of artists here, though! (either that, or the programmers just don''t take the time to respond...) That''s good news for me, though b/c when I need help with some graphics for my games hopefully I''ll be able to find lots of helpful people here

Check out the GPI project today!
Yeah. I''m a programmer as well, but luckily I have couple of artists among my friends so I''ve never had the problem that I wouldn''t have graphics in my games..

Jarkko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement