🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

International Board

Started by
7 comments, last by DarkMage139 24 years, 3 months ago
I just noticed how many "non-English speakers" post some stuff in different languages (which often come up as symbols on my computer) to people from the same country as them. Which makes me wonder, would people from a country who do not speak English understand this?: "Wassup, dudes and dudettes, ya dig?" Or would it just come up as a strange jumble on their screen? - DarkMage139
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
It would appear fine- the browser doesn''t only display what is found in the dictionary! If it''s typed on screen, it''s going to be displayed unless there is a mistake (such as a hole in thr HTML). The browser doesn''t slap a spell-check on websites, and then if ''this prase'' or ''that prase'' doesn''t make sense, make it appear as a string of jibberish! Are you NEW to computers?!?

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
I''ve been a computer geek since Windows 95 came out!!!

- DarkMage139
- DarkMage139
Then perhaps you''re new to browsers and how they work...

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
The problem with us "non English speakers" using other characters is that you have another character table (I think that what's it's called) loaded (probably American English). Since every character on the screen is an ASCII (or ANSI or Unicode) number, on a character table, the number 123 might represent "^" on your table, while on another table it represents "~". The number 124 might be "3", and on another table it might be "&" and so on.

When I type in an O with two dots over it (Ö), this character might just represent an O with two dots over it on MY character table, but on yours it might be "*"...

That's why some characters might come out all wrong on your screen but are all right on another computer.

I think the number 0 - 127 are the same on all tables, and 128 - 256 are "table specific".

/. Muzzafarath

Edited by - Muzzafarath on 4/8/00 2:30:49 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Actually the German/Swedish/Spanish/French...etc are coverened in our character table, its just the crylic and various other scripts that arent.

Yes, I think most of us use ISO Latin-1 (8859-1) coding. If we used Unicode (the real 16 bit version) then basicly no letters should come out garbled. The ISO Latin-1 coding is ok for most people from the western countries.

Henry
here in Brazil all computer stuff that we get is from the US ,so no errors, the estrage is that here we have or own chars ( like ç, ü , ã, õ, á ,` etc...)

-all XT user know that 01/01/1980 was a tuesday
-- TO FREDRIC ---

Well, I have been using them for the past few years. Of course, I''ve always been more interested in game programming than Internet\Browser technology .

- DarkMage139
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement