🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Playstation 2 vs. Dreamcast

Started by
23 comments, last by komi 24 years, 2 months ago
Hey, I was curious about which you guys think system is better? I currently own a Sega Dreamcast, and there aren''t all that many games out for it yet, but I know that Grandia 2, and Phantasy Star Online are going to be awesome. Right now I only have Sonic, Vigilante 8, and NBA 2K. I love the graphics, but which system do you guys think is better? Thanks. Eric
Advertisement
off course i prefer playstation! Where ells to play the series of Tomb Raider ?...

JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
Jewelaye - ummm... the Tomb Raider series is over!
I don''t prefer either. Dreamcast is cool, but a lot of their games are simply arcade games. They don''t have enough depth to rip 50 bucks outta me and keep me playing them for more than a day (other than Crazy Taxi! That game rocks). PS2 isn''t out in the North America yet, but I can say that PS2 is going to do way better than Dreamcast. However, I don''t think it''s launch games look good at all! They''re all racing and fighting (except for Kessen which is a really bad strategy game). However, DC launched with ''a little bit of everything''. They had NFL2K, Sonic, Evolution- a whole bunch of games for almost all genres. Phantasy Star Online, Grandia II, Shen Mue, Eternal Arcadias and Ecco are among some the greatest games ever to hit any system, and they''re only coming out for DC. However, PS2 has some awesome fighting games. I hate fighting games, so naturally, until PS2 busts some action or RPGs, it''s going to be collecting dust while my DC is happily processing away. The only reason I''m getting PS2 is because I think Final Fantasy 10''s graphics are abosulutely amazing! No.. BEYOND AMAZING!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
haha...it was just a joke about T-raider... =)
I know that theyr over.. ...Cause of theire las game -the last revelation...it sucks...but i prbbably going to play it in anyway... :O)...
Anyway-...ive never used Dreamcast by my self ...but is still think that the best games would be played at Playstation 2.../

JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
Well Sony still has a contract with squaresoft...so Playstation 2

sad mac = sad firahs

Edited by - firahs on 4/7/00 9:01:03 AM

Final Fantasy are my favorite of all favorites. I''ve played 1-3, and 7 and 8. Final Fantasy 8 is awesome. But hey man, where did you get screenshots of FF 10? I would love to see them.

Has any of you ever seen previews of Grandia 2 and Phantasy Star Online?! It''s incredible! Even though I wish the preview of Grandia 2 wasn''t in Japeneese (???), and still could tell it was going to be awesome.

- Eric
All of your final fantasy 10 can be found at http://www.rpgamer.com

It a cool website.

I agree, rpgamer is an awesome website for RPGs, however, I think that http://psx.ign.com is a much better site because they usually provide better coverage, day-to-day news, and have some really awesome journalists. Rpgamer is good, but IGN is better! (IMHO, of course)

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Thats a hard one I''m a big ass N fan but PS2 has many better games including Final Fantasy, and I never did like Sega...So I''d go for Sony then when the world is stunned by the power of dolphin Sony will diminish to it''s own small demise

Dolphin will kick PS2''s as really hard, along with X-Box, and leave a mighty bruise.
NINTENDO SQUARE
NINTENDO RARE
NINTENDO CAPCOM
Dolphin will kick PS2''s as really hard, along with X-Box, and leave a mighty bruise.NINTENDO SQUARENINTENDO RARENINTENDO CAPCOM
Tomb Raider 4 (or Tomb Raider 1, Mission Pack 4? Seems that way...) is actually available for the Dreamcast now..or else it will be very soon. So that''s not a factor. I guess Final Fantasy fans would want to pick up the PSX2, for sure.

On paper, the PSX2 is clearly technically superior to the Dreamcast..But that doesn''t really matter as much how good the games are for each -- not just graphics, but fun-factor.

Also, the first batch of PSX2 titles coming out of Japan are a bit disappointing, even in the graphics department. Many of the games have (not surprisingly) huge polygon counts, but some real issues with texture mipmapping and smoothness of lines. I don''t have access to a PSX2 devkit, so I''m not sure what the holdup is...Has anyone had the chance to play around with the PSX2? Why are the graphics on the launch games so subpar compared to what we''ve been expecting? Why does DOA2 (despite having more game features on the PSX2 version) look BETTER on a Dreamcast than a PSX2 (PSX2 version is very jaggy-looking)? Is it a limitation with the current development libraries? Any insight (by those who know what they are talking about and not rumor-mongering or guessing would be appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement