🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Question About Pascal... EEK!

Started by
8 comments, last by HeavyP 24 years, 3 months ago
yeah Yeah... Pascal sucks I know, and I know it''s like the oldest friggin'' programming language, but at my ghetto school they still teach it, and yeah. So at my school we use... Macs... god I hate macs... and we use codewarrior to compile everything, I haven''t been able to find another good compiler for pascal, can you guys recommend one so I can shop around or something, thanks.. --HeavyP
Advertisement
Alright, now let me disagree with everything you said:

1)Pascal Does not suck: nothing sucks except for things that do, and pascal does not.
2)I like macs, and codewarrior for macs is best environment for development on any platform.
3)Stick with codewarrior, and just learn what a program does, and how it does it...dont get too caught up in the language otherwise youll be useless as a programmer.

And if you need help with pascal, my icq # is 36625011, dont be a stranger.

O
/~*
/
That''s odd that your teacher is using CodeWarrior but is teaching Pascal. True pascal is very similar to C, but why not just teach C++? They have a compiler for it right there.

And listen to firahs, he''s obviously a very smart person. (he uses Macs!)

BTW: I have a 350Mhz PII at work and a 200Mhz Power Mac at home. The more I use this computer at work, the more I miss my computer at home.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Well they do have a C++ class, it''s just you gotta take pascal before it.. so yeah.. Well since I don''t have a mac, what kind of pascal compiler do you think I should get? ...
I''d ask your instructor, I took the AP ComputerScience(Pascal) and the AP Computer Science(C++), i really enjoyed the pascal class because it was my first _real_ programming language. I dont think there is a free one outside of linux. You may want to check tucows, they have everything .

http://www.tucows.com

You''re cool too dog135

O
/~*
/
One thing I have to add: It *sucks* to write a Pascal compiler. I thought that Pascal was a pretty neat language until I had to compile the damn thing. There are few languages that are worse to write a compiler for. (FORTRAN, Ada, PL/I are about it)

The Borland Pascal compilers are considered the best for PCs. You might be able to find a DOS version of Turbo Pascal in a bargain bin nowadays. Otherwise, the Delphi compilers are pretty nice, but they''re more pricy. I think that the latest versions of C++ Builder ship with old versions of Delphi as trial versions (again you''re shelling out a lot more money).
Pascal... ah... the language of my young days.

Anyway :
1) Firahs is right on this

2) If you want some PC Pascal-specific compiler, you can presumably find a free Turbo/Borland Pascal at the Borland Museum

3) If you want some Mac Pascal-specific compiler, one must be included with MPW, somewhere on the Codewarrior CDs.

4) I''d say that it is better to learn Pascal with Objects than C++ as a first language. I would advise Objective Caml, though.

Be reading you,
David
Actually, the pascal compiler is built right in, its pretty cool...along with a java environment.

:(
Yes, but he seems to be allergic to CodeWarrior, ...
Yeah, get Visual P++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement