🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Please tell me what's wrong with my computer

Started by
8 comments, last by NafTif 24 years, 2 months ago
I''m not writing this at my own computer right now, and I don''t remember all the details of the problem, but if someone can help me with these details, please do! I have tried everything I can think of, and I haven''t found any info from the net, so I hope someone here can help me. My computer: 400 Mhz PII, 64 Mb, Diamond viper v550, DirectX 7.0 The problem: When I play a game that uses DirectX the first time after I have rebooted my computer, there are usually no problems. But when I try to play another game that uses DirectX without rebooting, I get the window saying "this program has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down and blablablablaa..." (something like that, I guess everyone knows it) and there are two buttons, "close" and "details". The "details" goes something like this (I don''t remember exactly): DDHELP has caused an illegal page fault in module VPRDD.DLL (or sometimes VPRDRV.DLL) at (here comes always some few hexes, all starting something like 0137:b0??????, I don''t remember the last ones). (The data register values are always the same.) When I reboot my computer and try the game again, the error doesn''t show up. Usually. A few examples for games acting like this are Dark Omen and Worms Armageddon. Games that use Direct3D, such as Driver, System Shock 2 and Thief (or do the last two use it? at least they act the same way as Driver), have a more ''serious'' problem. The same error message as above shows up, and rebooting doesn''t help always. Thief works pretty fine, and the error is rare, but Driver ans SS2 won''t usually start at all. Sometimes they let me get to the menus, but crash when I start playing. Very rarely they work, but very rarely. Sometimes they start working when I have rebooted the computer a half a dosen times. Sometimes, when I have first played a non-DX game, the DX-using games work perfectly. My display properties are also weird. The tab "Diamond 3d" gives an message saying something like "To get advantage of the Diamond 3d, please get DirectX 6.0 or newer." But I have DirectX 7.0! Some friends have told me that my memory chips would be bad, and some have said I have to get a fan to my Viper, but I haven''t had the chance to try these out. Could the problem be one of these? Please help me, I''m getting annoyed rebooting my computer all the time, and even more annoyed about the fact that the best games won''t work on my computer.
Advertisement
1. Get new drivers for your video card.
2. Reinstall DirectX.

Hopefully doing that will get rid of the problem, if it doesn''t you might try formatting your hd or simply reinstall Windows.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Thanks, but I''ve tried all possible driver version/dX version/formating combinations, and they didn''t help.

Does someone have any other suggestions? Please help if you do.
"Some friends have told me that my memory chips would be bad, and some have said I have to get a fan to my Viper, but I haven''t had the chance to try these out. Could the problem be one of these?"

Most probably not. You should also be fine without a fan for your card unless you''ve overclocked it or you have a lot of other devices in your computer that might warm it up. Get a motherboard monitor program and measure the temperature or just open the box and check for yourself.

Are you using the nVidia Detonator drivers for your Viper card? Those are probably the best you can get right now. If it still doesn''t work, re-install Windows (i.e. delete the old Windows folder to loose all sys files), then install things very carefully and always check that DirectX is working before installing anything else.

Also run the DXDiag application, that should report most errors with your DirectX configuration.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
I think that you computer is ill, because one or more of the DirectX drivers are injured. Every time when your DirectX closes the connection to sound, graph or to what ever it doesn''t close it correctly and leaves some poor shit to the memory. It maybe that that version of your drivers has poor connection to closing commands or whatever. I haven''t used Dx but I think that''s the problem..

Computers are just like babies, they need good care...
The best thing a troubleshooter can do is teach the user how to troubleshoot, and what to look for. Remember, it''s somewhat of an art, considering all the things that could possibly go wrong (even though all the problems are logical).

Intermittent crashes, that always happen at the same memory address? Sound like bad memory somewhere, but contact the computer manufacturer to be sure. (bad drivers work something like bad memory, in that they return improper memory addresses or simply lose data)

Also, if it''s purely DirectX (meaning Windows doesn''t crash, just the DX games), then it could be AGP-related, even on an Intel platform. Go into DX Diagnostics, try disabling AGP support (it''s under the Display tab), and then try the test buttons on that same tab. If they consistently run without trouble, try your games. It could then be a problem with your video drivers (almost always is that ). Get nVidia''s drivers as per Spiff''s recommendation, or the latest WHQL-certified drivers from your video hardware manufacturer.

On a side note, when you format your hard drive and then reinstall Windows, make sure you remove all cards except your video card and any drive connector cards. (unless you are installing from over a network, in which case keep your network card in) If DX works then, one of your programs is screwing up DX with its installation routines, or it could be your sound drivers or network drivers or something else...but it won''t be your video drivers or video hardware.

Also, if Windows crashes in Safe Mode, it''s either a bad CPU or bad memory somewhere. Try running it there for about half an hour, having it copy files and run lots of programs (that don''t require hardware drivers). Found an obscure L2 cache error that way...once I replaced the motherboard, everything ran perfectly.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
Thanks a lot. I''ll try those when I have the time. I should get a new 128MB memory chip tomorrow. If it doesn''t help, at least I have doubled my memory
What sound card are you using?

AAAAARRGGGHHH!!!!! The problem isn''t the memory. Although Driver started the first time in a while, the error occured when I tried Thief without rebooting. I removed my soundcard and tried to re-install Windows (I fomated c, but it didn''t help. I''ll try removing my network card before re-installing Windows the next time, and getting those Detonator drivers, maybe it will help.

My soundcard was an old SB32 PnP or similar. It is very old and I have lost the discs containing the drivers, so I used some driver W95 suggested (although a ''SB32 PnP'' was still detected as an ''Other device'' in the device manager), and it worked with no prolems. I removed it while I tried to re-install W95, and I have a new SB64 but I haven''t tried it yet.

Before I re-installed windows, the ''Disable AGP support'' button in the Dxdiag was greyed out. Could it mean something?

And finally, which version of DX should I install when I re-install Windows the next time? I had 7 before I re-installed today, and now I have 6.1, and Dxdiag''s display tests seem to be smoother with 6.1.

Once again, thanks for bothering helping me, and please help a little more.
I was having DDhelp messages myself not too long ago. It ended up being a conflict between my vid and sound card. My advice: Remove your sound card, backup your hard drive, format it, re-install windows. Do not install (do not let windows install) the drivers for your vid card. Keep your display in 640x480 in 16 color. Get the nVidia reference drivers and install those. Get dx version 7a and install it. See if things get messed up. If things seem to be working install your sound card and get the newest drivers from creative.

Your vid card is what is blowing up, but anything else may be causing it. In my case, my sound card (Live!) was blowing up, but it was my Geforce card that was causing it. After a week of re-installing/configuring/pathcing/getting pissed for 2 hours a day, I wiped the hard drive and put my Voodoo3 back in and everything was fine.

Good Luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement