Advertisement

Thinking in 3D Article

Started by April 04, 2000 12:50 AM
14 comments, last by I-Shaolin 24 years, 5 months ago
As a newbie to 3D programming, I thought the article was great. The one exception is that it could have been a little longer. I was just starting to wake up and get interisted when it was over. The other faqs and tutoriols I''ve found havent been this good. Keep at the same pace, and make them a little longer. I can''t wait for the next to come out.

Glandalf
Looks to be possibly the best 3D article I''ve ever read, although it''s short, I think that''s a good thing.

It''s better to have tutorials that treat you like an idiot, than ones that rush on ahead and leave you confused.

If only all tutorials were as simple...

Waiting for more

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Advertisement

Just wanted to jump in there and say that if you keep the rest of the articles "down to earth" like in this one, I might finally get to understand 3D!!

Keep ''em short, sweet, and simple!

Thanks!

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
I-Shaolin,

I think the article is good. I think if you are uncertain of the pace at which you should proceed you should always go slower rather than faster - the more experienced people can always read ahead, but not the other way round, right?

One of the things I struggled with was this:

I knew how to represent objects in 3D space and the maths for adding perspective / projection etc.. but I didn't know how to work out what the viewer can see from a specific viewpoint - I think the inclusion of cameras in your article is very important.

Also, maybe a summary of the rendering pipeline. It is one thing to talk about vectors, matrices etc.. but another to know what steps (clipping etc..) are involved in converting your local or world coordinates to screen coordinates, and how you can apply those mathematical techniques to the process.

Anyway, those were the things I had trouble with for weeks and I am sure some people will appreciate an explanation of.

Paulcoz.

Edited by - paulcoz on 4/7/00 11:11:26 PM
Hey, the article was great. I am just getting started in 3d games and it drew my attention. It wasn''t too fast and it wasn''t too slow, but it left feeling like I was ready for the next article. So keep with the same style, but maybe you could try and write more than one article at a time so those who get it can move on to the next one.

Problems I faced while learning 3D:

Camera position and concatnation of matrices. (The rotate then translate Vs the translate then rotate and their corresponding matrices and the local vs global coordinate frame).. but the confusion is probably due to the horrid OpenGL book I''m reading, which hides all the maths rom the programmer.

Good work and keep it up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement