🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Thinking in 3D Article

Started by
14 comments, last by I-Shaolin 24 years, 2 months ago
I have been getting some rather positive feedback to the article I wrote, but I wanted to get some more before continuing on the next in the series. First, I want to here back from the beginning 3D programmers who read it. Was it useful or too slow? Is the writing easily understandable? etc... Second, for the more experienced people out there, I would like to hear from you as well. Specifically, I''d like to hear about problems you had in learning 3D, so I can try to avoid common mistakes in my papers. My next paper is going to cover 3D math. Basically, transfomations, matricies, and vectors. Any insight on how to make this more intuitive and understandable would be welcomed. Honestly, I am worried that I am going to mess this up and that would just defeat the purpose of the series anyway. Jonathan
Advertisement
I thought the article was great. I'm new to 3D programming. I like the way the article was not directed at a specific API. The style of writing was good and easy to follow. The only problem I had with it was there with it was there wasn't enough of it! Just as I was getting into it it was over...

Edited by - Chris F on 4/4/00 1:13:27 AM
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
I was thinking:

the article was good & very legible, but despite being new to 3D there wasn''t anything new to me in there... maybe that just comes from doing extra math...? However I think that its better to write too simple than on the limit... the current style seems fine to me =)

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
I am completely new to 3D programming and I felt like the article was a good introduction. I''ve been trying to get a basic 3D cube rotating for ages now, but I still can''t get it to work. Hopefully the series should be able to shed some light on the subject

Keep up the good work.

- Daniel
- DanielMy homepage
As an increasingly experienced 3D programmer (and as editor of the article ) I thought it was great. I think you should continue in the same vein: keep it simple enough that anyone can learn 3D graphics from it.

Dave
It was a good article , but I felt it was a bit too slow.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
---I-Shaolin---
I think your article is great=) After reading so many
3D introduction books, I believe that you are heading in
the right direction at the right pace. Concepts always take
a while to sink in and you took it slowly unlike those
books which had me in a daze before =)Keep up the good
work =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
As a very inexperienced 3d programmer (I delved into it for a while, but I decided to stick with 2d and learn dx for a while longer...), I''d have to say that it was simply a great article. Like J2xC, I''ve learned most of the stuff from the first article from my math classes I''ve taken, but it really doesn''t matter much. I''d definitely like for you to continue the series.

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Yes, I also consider the article to progress at the right pace. Maths stuff for me takes a while to sink in, and I usually have to stare at stuff for a few minutes/hours/weeks... to really get it. Having the article in a "simple" format makes this process easier, rather than me also having to worry about where the hell this or that came from.

Anyway, a great article; much appreciated

--
Russ
I just read the part I of it, and even though it''s pretty basic and easy stuff (I know that''s the way you wanted it I-Shaolin) I have to say it''s pretty good. Of course it depends on the next parts of it...

You actually got me there with the "If you can''t program a 3D engine in software, you don''t really know 3D." - that was really good and very true.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement