Advertisement

Can I take your order?

Started by April 03, 2000 10:56 AM
22 comments, last by webspynner_99 24 years, 5 months ago
System Shock 2? I never DID finish that game...got it for christmas...but then holidays ended, and I had to go back to school. Anyhow...I can''t WAIT until I have enough time between programming and other stuff to play that game again. That''s the only game I wanted to stop playing so bad...although I couldn''t. I came away from it at 3am every morning still shaky and breathing deeply. Hell, I STILL dream about it! That is the MOST emotion I''ve ever felt!

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
bang on about the emotional value of games. I''ve seen plenty of games which have had great main characters but whom I''ve felt no emotional connection with. Take zelda64, well animated character, but after playing the game I felt nothing for him.

What I would like to see in a game would be control of flow the game. Give me the option to make decisions about the characters. An example, the great cliche of the gun standoff. Badguy holding guy to hostage tells use to but down gun or she dies. I should decide to either shoot the badguy and risk hurting the girl or put my gun down. And my choice should impact the game.
Advertisement
On the topic of emotional games, only one has been able to do it for me and it''s Planescape: Torment. Parts of that game can be outright disturbing and definitely left me thinking about it well after I finished it.

Just my two cents (and my first post).

~Mastema~
A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history.
Amitage: Six Thomas Covenant books! I only ever thought there was four

PS: I agree with the emotion & character design stuff you was saying rroach.

I''d like a game with good puzzles n'' such like, but which still keeps the adrenaline pumping. I don''t play games much really, but I have yet to find a game that does this for me.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
In 24 hrs there have been 13 replies to this topic, wow. Yes, the emotion factor is a major part of the game. I would like to see a game that gave you complete control. In an RPG every once in a while you''ll come to a doorway with a guard. The guard says you can''t go through, and that''s the end of it. I want to be able to kill the guard in order to go through. Through out the game I''ve killed hundreds of guards just like him and a number of monsters ten times worse. Why can''t I take him out and go through the door?

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
Each game has it''s own style, and it''s that style, that individuality that I like in a game. Quake II, for instance had it''s ''climaxes'', where, suddenly, in a level, you saw a dozen berserkers rushing towards you...
Maybe this is because of the levels. Well designed levels add a lot of magic to a game (Like the flesh and bone levels in Blood... eww), and also because of the textures.
/ // / |< <-
Advertisement
OK, I don't play RPGs much (or any games for that matter), but if the door's in the game, surely it's there for a reason.

PS: I agree with what abe_bcs said about the importance of level design.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Edited by - GEo on 4/6/00 8:10:28 AM
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
how about a real chase scene. In driver it was nothing but getaway driving, but that was the entire game and it got kind of old. I want to see a car chase scene in an action game through some crowded city. That, and I want to see crowds in cities. I''m sick of seeing just 4 or 5 people scattered through out the town, I want to see a huge city whith tons of people walking along the side walk.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
sex, and not just suggestive stuff. I want the main guy of the game to knock boots with the main grrl of the game. YEAH BABY!!
Uh...youre a moron.
Stupid anonymous posters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement