🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why do you want to make games

Started by
20 comments, last by The_Mimic 24 years, 3 months ago
Wanted to start a new discussion topic, so here goes: ''What are the reasons for you wanting to make games?'' I''ll let you know my reasons later. Do you think games now suck? Money? Fun? What?
Advertisement
The reason I want to make games is not because all other games are crap (if that was the case i''d _never_ want to see a game again

Everyones gotta do something for money, so I figured i might as well try to do something I enjoy.

As for why I enjoy it I''m not sure. There''s probably something in that cliche about wanting to make people happy.

Well..

I love programmation, and i think game programming is the collest part in it!
Like myself, I think most of us are in to creating games because we enjoy doing it. If you enjoy it, why not make it your career? Then again some are in it for the glory *coughtobelikejohncarmackcough*. I just like the thought of people enjoying something I put my effort into, that is reason enough for me.

-Omalacon

Edited by - Omalacon on 4/2/00 2:53:18 PM
Anything I''m interested in I want to do myself.
I like music, so I joined a band.
I like books, so I started to write one.
I like games, so I want to make them.
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
From what I hear, game programmers don''t make the most money in the world.

But to me, part of life is the ability to enjoy what you do, and to have others benefit from what you do too, whether physically, or mentally.

I enjoy games and programming, and I would like to do that once I graduate college. Realistically, that''s probably not going to happen because of finances, but no one can stop me doing it on my own.

You might make lots of money writing applications, but very fewer people say things like "Wow, that''s one nice application", compared to "Wow, that''s a cool game."
I do game programming because it''s the most challenging type of programming you can get. You are always improving, recoding, debugging, etc.
However, programming games is what most new programmers want to do - so they come on this board and post 50,000 messages complaining that they can''t get their game to work and asking how to make a Quake engine.
hmm....

---------------
kieren_j
To me its more of a feeling of creation that draws me to game programming. I can go and make a sand castle but after it rains, there is no castle left. with programming, i can make my own world and make things the way i want them to.

- Moe -
The reason for me, I think, is that I love programming, and I love games, so I kinda put it together and started on a journey to become a game developer

-Mezz
Truely, lets face it.

Computer''s do what you tell them, specifically or not. Try getting a person to do exactly what you want...

But, when you get away with ordering the computer to order the person to stay glued to the monitor until 3am without caffeine... willingly, it''s just satisfying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement