Advertisement

BeOS impressions

Started by March 30, 2000 05:44 AM
10 comments, last by LackOfKnack 24 years, 4 months ago
What do you guys think? I''ve only had a few minutes to try it out, but it looks awesome. OpenGL''s a little slow though.
Lack
Christianity, creationism, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
BeOS is really a great OS.
Easy to install very powerfull, it can find it''s home on most of our computer.
The only problem it face is the lack of drivers, but it can be solved with a little help.

I hope it will work with my (upcoming) KX133 motherboard.

I love BeOS, and I''ll check that OpenGL slowness as soon as I can.
Personnaly, I''ll port and/or make my games on BeOS.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
Ok, heres the skinny on BeOS 5:

BeOS has always been a good OS for people doing digital video/audio editing, this is because of its extremely low overhead. Now Be is trying to get into the user market...and puting out a free, easy to obtain/install/use version of their OS is a great way to do that. But the sad fact remains: there is extremely little Hardware support, and there is little software written for Be (although there is some cool developers stuff for Be)

I just dont think its ready to find a home on users desktop yet. Although i did install it and i liked it alot.

I think the fact that most mainstream hardware is supported, it boots up in literally ten seconds, and that it''s available in a reasonable package for free makes it good to go for most homes. Plus, it''s easy to develop for and really fast, so it''s not like it''s hard to break into.

Go forth and make some kickass games and apps for it, soith we can attractith the masses.

Lack

Christianity, creationism, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Apart from the lack of software, I found the lack of PCMCIA support very discouraging (the only way I get online is through a PC Card), and its ability to co-exist with Windows a little lacking (struggled with trying to figure why Windows would restart on loading up, after restarting from BeOS). A plus for the BeOS is that the configuration was non-existent, which was probably, all-in-all, the best part of the package. Suggestions: support laptops (APM, PC Card/PCMCIA, etc...).

I''ll probably just stick to PhatLinux for now, since XFree86 supports the NeoMagic 256 ZX finally (yippee!!!).

JoeG
joeG
I downloaded and installed BeOS just to find out it won''t run on my computer. When I try to boot it up, it will just hang. It stinks because I really wish I could have tried it and possibly develop for it.
Advertisement
What kind of MB or video card do you have? How far do you get? If you make it to the purple screen, you can press Space and choose their generic driver.

Lack

Lack
the MB is a PA-2005 (ordered it from tigerdirect.com) and thast about all I can tell you on that. It has a Cyrix PL-686 chip(i was young and dumb at the time) in it. You know when the screen says Loading..... or something similar, it stops at one of the .''s and just hangs there. I''m guessing its a hardward problem and really haven''t looked into it much.

This would be a lot easier if I just took the 2 minutes to register my name too.
Have you checked the Intel Hardware Ready List at be.com? There may be an answer there (sorry I don''t have time to check it out).

Lack

Lack
I''ve been playing with BeOS since the free version was released, and I must say I''m impressed. My only complaint is hardware support, but I expect that that will improve shortly. The windowing API is a dream to work with, and the interface is just so pretty

- genovov

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement