🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

should i get contacts?

Started by
14 comments, last by Densun 24 years, 3 months ago
Contacts are great. I suggest you talk to your eye doctor about getting them. Having used different types for the past few years, I would suggest getting soft, disposable (use for 2 weeks, then throw them away) contacts.
Advertisement
Wow, who would have thought to find this at gamedev!? Maybe I''ll get me some contacts. it sounds like your near-sighted. Another thing that you should be carefull of is your different eyes have different levels of vision. My right eye is about 20/40, but my left eye is about 20/30, so if you get contacts and you have a difference like that, you''ll obviously have to be carefull about which one you put in which eye.
As for the lazer surgery, it''s cheapest in California and North Carolina, about $500 an eye. It''s really recommended that you only do this if you have a major stigmatism (like 20/400, or even 20/100). There are two types, PRK and Lasik. PRK is more expensive, more dangerous, more painful, takes longer to recover from, and less effective than Lasik. The Lasik will supposedly get you to 20/30 easily. Many people actually get better than 20/20 vision, they get 20/10. I have a friend that naturally has 20/10 vision, he always brags about it. I''m not sure if the lazer sugery is for near-sighted people, though.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
quote: Original post by webspynner_99

Wow, who would have thought to find this at gamedev!? Maybe I''ll get me some contacts. it sounds like your near-sighted. Another thing that you should be carefull of is your different eyes have different levels of vision. My right eye is about 20/40, but my left eye is about 20/30, so if you get contacts and you have a difference like that, you''ll obviously have to be carefull about which one you put in which eye.
As for the lazer surgery, it''s cheapest in California and North Carolina, about $500 an eye. It''s really recommended that you only do this if you have a major stigmatism (like 20/400, or even 20/100). There are two types, PRK and Lasik. PRK is more expensive, more dangerous, more painful, takes longer to recover from, and less effective than Lasik. The Lasik will supposedly get you to 20/30 easily. Many people actually get better than 20/20 vision, they get 20/10. I have a friend that naturally has 20/10 vision, he always brags about it. I''m not sure if the lazer sugery is for near-sighted people, though.

Yes, Lasik was originally intended for near sighted people. I know a person who has 20/25 in one eye and 20/20 in another, from being 20/550. Of course he has to wear reading glasses now, but for people who have worn glasses a long time, I seriously doubt that one little problem like that will bother them. And from what I hear, it''s only getting better and that there is a new procedure being finalized, which is suppose to give even better and stable results.

What about one day contacts? No cleaning, you just throw them away. They cost a bit more than 'normal' ones, yes, but I'd say it's worth if (from my own personal experience). And yeah, they are way more comfortable than regular contacts since they are much thiner.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

Edited by - Staffan on 4/4/00 2:37:23 PM
Just got mine yesterday from WalMart. Like them fine they last a year then must be replaced. My eyes are really bad and I am nearsighted but contacts (sofar) are GREAT!!
quote:
50/20 just means that you see in 20 feet what normal vision-ed people would see in 50 feet

That doesn''t sound right. My glasses say 47/20 and I am unable to see two feet in front of me without them

I''ve worn glasses since I was 7. I also wore contacts for about 8 years. Contacts are nice because you get great peripheral vision and you don''t have to dry them when it''s raining or clear them off when they get foggy from walking into a warm place after being in a cold one...

I had to stop wearing contacts about 6 months ago because my eyes were constantly getting infected because of them. They''re great, but it''s very important to take proper care with them. Clean them when you''re supposed to, and give your eyes breaks. I''d say a couple hours a day, as well as during the night. I wouldn''t wear them while sleeping... your eyes are closed anyway, what do you need to see?

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement