🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

should i get contacts?

Started by
14 comments, last by Densun 24 years, 3 months ago
I''ve been wearing glasses for about six years now, and am on my third pair. Glasses really get in my way, and I think they give me headaches occasionally. Are contacts much better? Will they strain your eyes more when you read things up close, like my glasses do? The bridge on my glasses say 50/20, so i guess that''s my prescription. I don''t know if some prescriptions make contacts a bad choice.
Advertisement
I''ve worn both for the majority of my life. If you have the patience to do your daily cleaning and replace them as recommended, contacts work quite well. You can''t tell they are in most of the time, and in my experience, they are easier on the eyes because your peripheral vision is corrected as well (unlike glasses).

What you should really do is see your ophthalmologist and talk to him/her about contacts. They will probably let you try a pair out for free (or cheap) to see how you like them.

One last note: tell them you use computers a lot, and that you want to make sure your prescription is exact. Contact prescriptions can vary from your glasses prescription, so make sure they check that.

Heh, I guess it''s appropriate that I''d be the one to reply to this first. :D
Contacts are great if you take care of them. I got contacts when I was twelve, hard ones. Hard ones are more painful in some ways, but they have kept my prescription from changing for the past 12 years, which my eye doctor had predicted (though not for that long, he said probably 5)

-fel

PS.... make sure you bring a good pair of sunglasses with you the first time you try wearing contacts... and if you want to use them, then use them daily so you get used to them. My husband wears glasses 90% of the time and is always complaining about how painful his contacts are when he bothers to wear them, I wear mine all the time and they don't bother me at all unless I get dirt in my eyes or something.

Edited by - felisandria on 3/28/00 8:12:35 PM
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Hi,
I got some new contacts which you can wear 4 weeks in a row without taking them out at nights. They''re pretty cool, so you could have a look at them. They''re a bit more expensive than the normal ones, but it''s way more comfortable.

CU

Graphix Coding @
Skullpture Entertainment
http://www.skullpture.de
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
50/20 just means that you see in 20 feet what normal vision-ed people would see in 50 feet. 50/20 isnt horrible, and contacts are probably a viable solution, but theyre a pain to maintain and can hurt sometimes.

I would go for contacts, I had to get glasses in the third grade and my eyes seem to keep getting worse, by the time i was in junior high my glasses were getting big, this was just before the thin lens (those are nice). I got contacts and have had no trouble with them. But talk to the doctor before you make any final decisions. Some people can''t wear contacts because of the tearing in their eyes.

Glandlaf
Glandalf, your situation is the same as mine. I''ve had glasses since 3rd grade, and now I''m wearing contacts most of the time (I''m a high school Junior now). I must say, though...the thin glasses are nice, too. I got myself a pair of those sometime last year, I think, and I wear them almost as much as I do my contacts, sometimes. One definate prob. w/ contacts--hard contacts and these "gas-permeable" ones (they''re kinda a cross between hard and soft contacts) you can''t wear in your sleep (well...you CAN, but then you risk losing one by having it move to the back or your eye or something, which sux). This is bad for me, at least, because I sleep more in the day at school than I do at night (and, yes, my grades generally reflect that). Also, if your eyes are dry and stuff, contacts do irritate them a lot more--and this can be bad for people that like to stay up all night coding. But my prescription doesn''t change nearly as much as it did when I was wearing just glasses.

Bottom line: Contacts are great. Get them. But sometimes, glasses look good, too.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
quote: Original post by Densun

I''ve been wearing glasses for about six years now, and am on my third pair. Glasses really get in my way, and I think they give me headaches occasionally.

Are contacts much better? Will they strain your eyes more when you read things up close, like my glasses do?

The bridge on my glasses say 50/20, so i guess that''s my prescription. I don''t know if some prescriptions make contacts a bad choice.

/ // / |< <-
My friend suffered from contact lens: blood vessels on the eye became longer and bigger, and eyes looked red. This did not happen for the first several years, but began to suffer from red tired eye problem after that. Even though contact lens claim they do not prevent oxygen, that capability seems limited.

I heard laser surgery (advanced one called "lasic"? or something) gave many successful results recently.

laser surgery pro: surgery takes only 10 to 15 minutes, quick effect, no glasses no contact lens until death for most cases

laser surgery con: expensive, aftereffects 5-10% (most aftereffects are minor)

JamesH
<>

Hard contacts, if they don''t fit right, do prevent oxygen. That''s one of the problems with them. The "Gas Permeables" allow gas through, or something, and that way if they don''t fit right, they''ll still let gas in. At least, that''s why my optomitrist (sic) told me...so I dunno.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement