🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

thingummy

Started by
3 comments, last by furby100 24 years, 3 months ago
I think the word ''hacker'' sounds daft. I hate it. Its a media misconception, and I think its all journalists and films fault that people assume that these sad cases who make viruses and crash BBSs have any sort of cleverness about them, which they do not.
Advertisement
So you don't consider the Swedes that hacked into NASA's servers intelligent? Or any other high-security network for that matter.

What you're talking about is people that use "real" hacker's stuff to hack computers, i.e. stealing the fame. I've heard of a lot of people that say "look, I'm a hacker" and use non-homemade programs, they are not real hackers, they're just lame hacker-wannabies.

Media often uses data terms wrong, especially here in Sweden when people seem to prefer swedish badly translated terms, but real hackers do not lack intelligence, except from the fact that they're not clever enough to avoid getting visists of the.

I suggest you study some network security and you'll soon notice that it takes a lot more than luck to break into high-security networks.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Edited by - Spiff on 3/27/00 6:19:17 AM
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Spiff, I don''t think that furby was implying that hackers are dumb, but that those lamers that you speak of are. They think that they can download Netbus, and they are a SuPa HaX3r. I think that the real hackers, those who really know the inner workings of security networks and systems, should coin themselves by another name. The word "hacker" is down for the count. What do you guys think?

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Couldn''t of said it better myself...
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
I agree with everyone,

Why the hell would anyone want to hack anyway, is it really worth the hastle?

I think you're right, and that the only reason anyone bothers is to be famous. (some people I know were caught doing this, and there's talk of sending them to the US for prosecution, i think they did it simply for the attention, personally)

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Edited by - GEo on 3/28/00 7:42:37 AM
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement