🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the best shooter for the PC this year?????

Started by
20 comments, last by MuffinKnight 24 years, 3 months ago
IMHO: HL, UT and AvP

========================
Game projects:
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Advertisement
Unreal Tournament rocks! I don''t have the full version yet but I will be getting it in the very near future. The guns are actually varied (getting tired of pistol, shotgun, machine gun, grenade, rocket launcher combo) and the bots are extremely realistic.

- Daniel
- DanielMy homepage
The bots in Quake 3 are so much more better. The bots in UT will run around the corner, even if you''re bustin off some rockets, while the bots in Q3 while wait around the corner and hide, choosing a place where they can''t be seen easily but shoot you easily. I just have to say that the Quake 3 bots are much, much better (and I HAVE both). However, the levels in UT are way better than Q3, as are the weapons.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Q3 and UT are very diferent games; Q3 is more of a "brainless" deathmatch FPS, while UT is more of a temaplay FPS...

all of that is just IMHO...

I cant agree that the Q3 bots are better... have u tried the UT bots on a higher difficulty?

========================
Game projects:
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
I would definately have to say that UT is th e best. Especially CTF. The maps are beautiful, there are many different types of playing styles (camping, catching the flag, defending etc) that people can use and still be successful/have fun. I also like the weapons a lot better, they''re all very well balanced, there is no super weapon (like the rail gun, and the redeemer is strong but pretty rare.) A weapon''s strength depends on the situation and players skill. I''d personally say that the sniper rifle is the best part of the game, if you have a good ping the sniper rifle is super lethal.

The only bad part about Unreal is the lack of servers. There aren''t that many servers for any modes besides CTF and Deathmatch. They also aren''t that fast, there''s a few good ones but I got a dsl connection and usually get no lower then 200. (sometimes around 100, and on very bad servers 450.)
In conclusion UT is the best Mplayer game out there

My favorite FPS-style game is Descent 3. I''ve just always been partial to the Descent games though. (They feel like different genres to me, actually.)

I love the other games as well, though.

Jesse Chounard
stinkygoop@crosswinds.net
HEY! A shooter is not an FPS! An FPS is an FPS! When I first saw this post, I thought you were actually referring to a shooter(Aerofighters, Carrier Air Wing, ect.) Just making that clear for those who didn't know that. And MuffingKnight, you of all people should have known this. As for my opinion, I like Q3A.

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Edited by - PsYcHoPrOg on 3/29/00 5:35:24 PM
D:
Soldier of Fortune is plays pretty well.
To PsychoProg:

A FPS is a shooter. The "shooter" category is a VERY broadly defined term. A 2D game like Contra for the NES, SNES, or Genesis is considered a shooter. If you have played Gradius or R-Type, those are shooters. If you''ve played X-Wing, that''s a shooter, as are Quake and UT. The poster just has to be specific.

Everyone Else:

I like UT and HL over Quake 3.

Shinryuu64
Solenoid Software Interactive
http://solenoid.50megs.com
shinryu64@kiss-my.as
Shinryuu64Solenoid Software Interactivehttp://solenoid.50megs.comshinryu64@kiss-my.as
Forget those previous posts!

(Legacy) Doom is of course the best game of this and of every other year!!!

Q3A is the first FPS with an atmosphere near to Doom!
It is quite nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement