🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game idea

Started by
3 comments, last by Strife 24 years, 3 months ago
After finishing an extremely easy chemistry test today, I strated making up an idea for a game. In my opinion, it would be pretty sweet to have something like this. Here''s the jist of what it is: You and a bunch of AI-controlled characters are in a place (doesn''t really matter where) and you are trying to kill each other. Hmmmm. Doesn''t sound too original or interesting yet, does it? But here''s what makes it good: the player gets to choose what the AI can and cannot do. Here are some of the things I have thought of so far: -Learning: the player can decide if the AI can learn at all, if it can learn but forgets when you quit the game, or it can learn and save all the memory in a file to access whenever the player plays again. The memory could be used for a number of things; first, it would learn where the best places are to get health, ammo, or whatever. Second, it would try out different ways to kill the player and remember which ways work best. If learning is enabled, the AI entities could "talk" to friendly AI''s and give them some (if not all) of the above information. -Pathfinding: okay, this one''s kinda obvious. If it''s off, the AI wanders around randomly. If on, it''ll be able to detect obstacles, go to waypoints, or whatever. Well, I really don''t feel like typing all of the options but here''s one more thing that I might do: make it so that the player can create customizable AI enemies seperately, i.e., all of the above options could be used to create a single enemy and each one could have different traits. Another thing that would be cool to add in the future would be genetic algorithms and have some sort of insectoid enemy that can spawn their offspring. All this would be pretty cool, I think. What''s your opinion? If you code it, they will come... Commander M http://commanderm.8m.com cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Advertisement
"genetic algorithms and have some sort of insectoid enemy that can spawn their offspring"

How about some sort of random creature spawner? You could have a group of parts like legs, claws, heads etc.. each with different qualities/attacks which are stuck together randomly at defined join points on the body.

The "boss" mutant could have a really big body with all of the individual parts combined in some random sequence.

Paulcoz.

Edited by - paulcoz on 3/23/00 4:11:17 AM
That''s a good idea . The only thing is, it''ll be quite a while before I get around to even attempting this thing. First I wanna REALLY learn DX (I''m still learning it and I''ve got most of the basics down) and finish a game called ''Roids. Then maybe I''ll start this.

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Good Idea

"Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God"

FFT
"Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God" FFT
''Scuse me for being cynical, but just a few questions:

/*
Pathfinding: okay, this one''s kinda obvious. If it''s off, the AI wanders around randomly. If on, it''ll be able to detect obstacles, go to waypoints, or whatever.
*/

Okay, so why bother turning it off? How fun would that be? Killing a bunch of randomly moving targets (whack a rat, anyone?)

It just seems to me like making features out of nothing, like making a feature "Disable Drawing" where you don''t see anything... who would use it.

BUT onto the positive:

I like the idea of seperate body parts, etc that can be stuck on, and have actually done that in one of my games. I made a whole lot of "Civilian" legs, bodies, and heads, and then i can have heaps of different civilians walking around with minimal graphic files needed!

But back to your game: Perhaps you could be able to "earn" powerups somehow? And then choose what upgrade you want to purchase? Like you upgrade from a pistol arm to a machine gun arm, etc.

Anyway, must go now,

See ya later

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement