Advertisement

visual c++ standard and academic ed. question

Started by March 20, 2000 09:06 PM
5 comments, last by ARCHIGAMER 24 years, 6 months ago
is there a difference between visual c++ standard edtion and the acedemic edition besides academic is cheaper?
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
You have to be a student (or teacher) to buy the academic version and you can''t sell what you make with it (I''m not sure about the last one though).

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement
Technically, it''s not just that you can''t sell your program, you can''t distribute your executables at all.
so technecoly its just another introductery edition
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Isn''t the intro. ed. somehow scaled back or limited?
Don''t know about vc stand-alone, but the education edition of VisualStudio Professional only costs $100 and you can distribute your exes but can''t use it commercially.

Not just that you can buy from Ms being a student:
(Windows2000 + Win98) are also available for $50
Office2000 +Office98[mac] are available for about $100

Oh, and the packages are empty when you buy them, you just get a form for youre school to fill, then you sent it to the address, and about a month you receive the full package delivered to your home [mine also had a cellular phone as a bonus]
Advertisement
Hmm, I wonder how many times I''m going to have to say this.

I purchased the academic versions of both Visual Studio 97 and 6.0 Professional. I carefully read through the licensing agreements and THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS. That''s right, none! It''s identical to the retail professional.

This means that you CAN sell what you make with it. The only restriction is that you must be a currently enrolled student to purchase it.

This may not apply to all academic software, but it certainly applies to Visual Studio 97 and 6.0 Professional.

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement