🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Japanese speakers?

Started by
16 comments, last by lpsoftware 24 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I just was curious how many native Japanese/Japanese speakers are here in gamedev''s forums. Fact is, I''ve been taking a Japanese course at my high school, and I thought it would be cool if I could get some practice in the language as well as do some cool programming. Also, I was just curious Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Advertisement
Minna wa Gamedev.net ni Eigo de hanasu. Gomen nasai ga watashi wa Amerikajin desu. Nihongo no hitotachi wa doko ni?
And against in Hiragana.

‚Ý‚ñ‚ ‚́@Gamedev.net ‚Ɂ@ƒGƒC‚²‚Ł@‚Í‚È‚·B@‚²‚ß‚ñ‚È‚³‚¢@‚ª@‚킽‚µ‚́@ƒAƒƒŠƒJ‚¶‚ñ@‚Å‚·B@‚É‚Ù‚ñ‚²‚́@‚ЂƂ½‚¿‚́@‚Ç‚±‚ɁH
Zer: Thanks for replying, but before you laugh at my reply, know that I''m only in first year studies

>>Minna wa Gamedev.net ni Eigo de hanasu.

From what I understand, this means that mostly everyone that posts at GameDev.net speaks in English? "Hanasu" wa Eigo de nan to iimasu ka?

>>Gomen nasai ga watashi wa Amerikajin desu.

Sumimasen, Watashi wa kore ga wakarimasen (correct grammer?). In this case, does "gomen nasai" mean "Excuse me"? Is "ga" the subject marker or the particle "and" or "but"?

>>Nihongo no hitotachi wa doko ni?

Does this mean "Where are all the Japanese people?" Sorry if I misunderstood

Damn, I''ve got a lot to learn

Arigatoo Gozaimashita,
Martin

P.S. This may be a stupid question, but how can I get to view hiragana/katakana/kanji characters through my browser? I''ll check the language options.

Nevermind, I''m downloading the Japanese Text component right now

Martin
"Nihongo no hitotachi wa doko ni"

try using Nihonjin instead. "Nihongo no hitotachi" means "People of the Japanese Language". Probably would be better to say "Nihongo ga wakaru hitotachi" (People who understand Japanese) or "Nihongo de hanasu hitotachi" (People who speak Japanese)...but it is likely that form hasn''t been made available yet.

Also, seeing as you haven''t spoken to the other person before, it would be better to be a little more polite. How about "Nihonjin was zenbu doko desu ka"? (zenbu means "all" or "entirety").

"hanasu" means "speak" or "converse".

In "gomen nasai ga ...", the "gomen nasai" is a single sentence meaning "excuse me". The ga particle means "but", similar to the use of "kedo".

You guys are using a different ordering than I''m used to seeing. Guess it depends on the teacher. I''m only in my sixth semester, and I probably don''t know much more than you. It isn''t like Japanese just comes naturally to English speakers. After 6 semesters, I probably have a vocabulary of 700-1000 words, and around 400 kanji that I can read (not necessarily write).
Squidi, thanks for replying.

>"Nihongo no hitotachi wa doko ni"
>>try using Nihonjin instead.

This was the part that confused me a little. I''m always used to using Nihonjin instead, and I thought I was wrong in thinking that it was the best way to put it.

Sorry for questioning you, but, I don''t understand how using "zenbu" makes the sentence any more polite. It sure makes it easier to understand, though. Can you please explain?

I''m only in my 2nd semester, with a vocabulary of about 300 words. We''ve learned almost all the hiragana characters (only a couple more to go), dabbled with katakana a little, and learned about 25 kanji, how to write them as well. So far, I''ve learned: Katikata junjo(sp?) wa taisetsu desu.

Martin

"zenbu" just indicates entirety, and thus was just added to clarify the sentence. As opposed to "Where are Japanese speakers?" it is "Where are all the Japanese speakers?" Not a big difference really.
Ningongo dishimord. Wait... I don''t speak Japanese!!! Maybe we should make some global discussion groups here on Gamedev; some for Japanese, some for Italians, some for Azerbaijonians (wait, what exactly do they speak there?). Hehe. Just kidding (though it would be kinda interesting...)

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Good idea! Dishimord?

Martin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement